Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thursday, Nov. 26 in College Basketball

Thanksgiving, college b-ball style:

I'm thankful for being able to watch Gonzaga outlast Cincy down the stretch behind some big plays by Robert Sacre and some stifling defense (and if it were me, I'd be looking to get him the ball more often... having a 7 footer with touch around the paint is a very, very good weapon).

I'm thankful for Arizona St. and Stanford, who, although they didn't win, at least played like they have some pride (unlike other Pac-10 schools so far this year).

I'm thankful that Wisconsin beat Maryland and somehow shot over 45% from beyond the arc after shooting horrendously from there in the previous two games. I am not thankful, however, that the Badgers probably will not crack the top half of the conference, meaning for my Boilers, every single conference game is going to be a challenge to win.

I'm thankful for UConn, who looked dominant against LSU yesterday.

I'm thankful for mid-majors who continue to beat OU.

I'm thankful that Vandy got a decent win out of Maui. Arizona's got some serious work ahead of them if they want to be a tournament team.

I'm thankful to be able to watch the greatest sport on Earth today.

All is good.

Game of the Night:

76 Classic:

Minnesota v. Butler: How often is it that we get a first round tournament game as the game of the night? Okay, fairly often I guess. But still... the Bulld ogs have looked fairly beatable over their first few games. They've survived, but it hasn't been pretty at times. Shooting 28% from the field again isn't gonna get it done. Meanwhile, Minnesota has cruised through their first three games and gets their first real test today. Considering Minnesota's athleticism on the wings with Rodney Williams and Damion Johnson, Butler will have to execute their offense and make shots more than they have had to in previous games. I'll take Minnesota in a minor upset.

Pick: Minnesota 73, Butler 67

Others:

76 Classic:

Texas A&M v. Clemson: The Tigers have been running people out of the gym lately. Let's see if they are for real.

Portland v. UCLA: I would say this is a trap game for the Bruins, but that implies they are the better team.

West Virginia v. Long Beach State: WVU is still without Ebanks... may not hurt them tonight, but I think they'll need him to win this tournament.

Old Spice Classic:

Creighton v. Michigan: Important game for both teams, especially the Bluejays, who could use some good out of conference wins.

Marquette v. Xavier: A couple of rebuilding schools. Time to find out if either can play.

Alabama v. Baylor: Should be a competitive game if nothing else. The Bears have looked strong early.

Florida St. v. Iona: Definitely don't think the Noles should've gotten pounded at Florida. They can take out their aggression today.

No comments: